Broccoli Rabe, Asparagus and Feta salad recipe
An easy Broccoli Rabe, Asparagus and Feta salad recipe for a light lunch
Broccoli rabe, also known as rapini, is an amazing green vegetable full of healthy elements. This vegetable has a stronger taste than just regular broccoli, which is the reason why I love it so much. The broccoli rabe tends to be quite bitter, however, there is a very simple technique that I will share with you to remove all bitterness. Rapini is often served as a side dish in Italian cuisine, but I wanted to make it the menu’s star for today’s recipe. My Broccoli Rabe, Asparagus and Feta salad recipe is an amazing option for a light and fresh lunch.
A little bit more about my Broccoli Rabe, Asparagus and Feta salad recipe
I added a few key ingredients to this recipe to make sure this salad was everything but boring. In addition to the delicious vegetables, I created salad wraps instead of a traditional chopped salad. Salad wraps are not just pretty to look at but also very convenient and easy to eat. To create perfect ones, you will simply have to use lettuce leaves and fill them out with your ingredients and dressing. The main ingredients for this salad are broccoli rabe, asparagus, goat cheese feta, romain lettuce, lemon and grilled almonds. If you want to skip on the lemon so that it doesn’t overpower the other ingredients, you totally can. Simply toss your salad with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper.
Rapini salad (Broccoli rabe)
1 bunch rapini , ends trimmed
1 small bunch of asparagus, ends trimmed and chopped to your taste
Romain lettuce leaves (I usually use a full head)
2 garlic cloves
¼ cup chopped shallot or red onion
200g crumbled goat feta cheese
Half an English cucumber
1/3 cup of grilled almonds
Topping ideas: Fresh coriander, pennyroyal, thyme and lemon
- Rinse and dry the romain. Make sure to keep the leaves intact if you want to serve them as wraps. However, if you want to serve this salad as a traditional salad, chop and wash with a spin dryer.
- Boil a large pot of water. Add 1 tsp of salt to boiling water along with rapini. Cook 3 min, then drain and rinse with cold running water. Use a spin dryer to remove excess water. This method is very important to make sure the broccoli rabe is not bitter.
- Repeat the same exact step as number 1 for the asparagus, however, do not use a spin dryer for the asparagus.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add 2 large garlic cloves, be careful not to burn your garlic. Add the broccoli rabe and sauté for about 2-3 minutes.
- Repeat the same step for the asparagus without adding any garlic this time.
- Meanwhile, roast your almonds in the oven for about 10 minutes at 350 celsius.
- Cut your cucumber lengthwise into ribbons using a mandolin or other manual slicer.
- Cut your feta cheese in cubes or by hand in crumbles.
- Chop the shallot or red onion.
- For toppings, I usually use fresh chopped pennyroyal, coriander, thyme and lemon slices.
Arrange lettuce leaves on a large serving platter and pile your ingredients in the centre or however you like. Top with your favourite dressing such as a lemon dressing or drizzle some olive oil. Enjoy your salad with a delicious iced tea lemonade from 1 ou 2 Cocktails.